Tuesday, November 04, 2008

High Low Hong Kong

The title of this blog is "High Low Hong Kong". It is titled so because in Hong Kong, there are areas wallowing in absolute luxury, while just across the street there are neighborhoods full of ancient tenement apartments where you can order a bowl of noodles for $1.


Having Afternoon Tea on my Relative's Yacht

I am currently on a business trip in Shenzhen, China. On my short weekend off (I, like many other Chinese, worked on Saturday), I was able to enjoy some sights of Hong Kong.

On Sunday, we had a "launch picnic" on my relative's yacht. He has a giant 84 foot Azimut yacht with 4 bedrooms, a kitchen, a dining room and living room (a picture of us snacking can be seen above). He also has a full-time crew despite only using the boat on Sundays. This is a dive boat if I've ever seen one!


At the Helm of My Relative's Luxury Yacht

We launched out of the port at Tsim Sha Tsui and made our way to Lantau Island. There, we had some of the best dim sum I've ever had at the Disney Hotel. On our way back, I took the helm of this huge boat. Strangely enough, my relatives have never attempted to drive the boat despite enjoying outings on it almost every weekend! I was of course naturally drawn to trying it, and asked my family if I could try it. Unfortunately, they told me it was probably illegal without a license. But I was undeterred and asked the captain whether I could turn the steering wheel for a bit, and he obliged! Perhaps some of that natural, questioning, American spirit that asks "Why not?" is unusual in some areas of the world.


Temple St. Night Market

Later that same night, we strolled through the Temple St. Night Market, an open air market where trinkets, pirated DVD's and clothing are for sale for a few dollars. I could tell we were barely skimming above the underbelly of Hong Kong when one of the streets emptied out onto a group of streetwalkers. I saw one ancient White tourist follow a prostitute up the stairs of a brothel.

A bit hungry from our walk, and happy to have absorbed the high and low life of Hong Kong in a single day, we ended the night with a bowl of wonton noodle for $1.20.

Mollusks on Display at the Night Market

No comments:

Post a Comment

20 Goals for 2019

I know the year is already half over, but here are my goals for 2019 (this was not finished earlier as my goals kept changing).  Soci...