Saturday, July 23, 2011

Jellies, Jellies Everywhere

Diving today was not terribly distinctive, other than that I dove Ballbuster's  for the first time.  Also there was a barrage of sea jellies swimming towards us in the 20' depth range.  At one point, a sea jelly attached itself to Kevin's head.  While I was watching him removing the sea jelly, a sea jelly was about to collide into my face.  I screamed pretty loudly in disgust as I tore its tendrils off my regulator.

On the second dive, we searched for a tank that got thrown off a few weeks back.  Kevin got a reel and we did circle searches, with me keeping a 10'-15' distance on the outer perimeter.  It was exhausting, kicking for 45 minutes straight.  It was also a little eery, because the visibility was poor. Also, the lift bag obscured my view, and messed up my access to my dive computer and dive light.  I kept losing my buddy, and I found floating 15' above the sandy bottom, barely visible, to be disorienting.  We didn't end up finding the tank, unfortunately.  On the plus side, it was fun to perform a search and recovery for the first time, and giving myself vertigo hovering over the sand so high up.

Dive #190: Ballbusters (Dive Buddy: Kevin Donovan)
Depth/Time: 100'/0:30 minutes (had 4 minutes of NDL left)
Visibility: 15' (hard to tell, because it was as dark as night)
Temperature: 50 deg F
Weights: 15 lbs (same as before except weights set to horizontal in BCD instead of vertical)

Dive #191: Buoy outside of Hopkins Marine Station (Dive Buddy: Kevin Donovan)
Depth/Time: 60'/0:50 minutes
Visibility: 10-15'
Temperature: 50 deg F
Weights: see above

No comments:

Post a Comment

20 Goals for 2019

I know the year is already half over, but here are my goals for 2019 (this was not finished earlier as my goals kept changing).  Soci...