Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Birthday Biking - Stage 1 in Sausalito


It was President's Day, and my birthday, and despite the fact that we were still in town, and not on a far flung vacation, I had a blast.

Mark and I got to observe Stage 1 of the 2008 Tour of California, which began in Sausalito. The peleton took 3 slow rounds around Sausalito downtown before taking off full blast for Santa Rosa, 100 miles away. To our pleasant surprise, the riders, including our old friend Paolo Bettini (see previous post) were giving low 5's to the fans as they slowly rolled by.After catching the enthralling race beginning, Mark and I biked from Sausalito across the Golden Gate Bridge into San Francisco. This was another activity that I can now cross off my life's list. As I am not much of a climber, or a bike handler, the ascent up, and the descent down were physically trying. But the end view was well worth it. Notice the "Let Levi Ride" t-shirt on me, and the Peet's jersey on Mark.

After a wonderful, sun-soaked caffe latte and hot dog at the "Warming Hut", we rode back across the bridge into Sausalito where I observed some interesting marine mammal behavior. Below, you can see sea lions and harbor seals pilfering fish from the fishermen's net. Unlike dolphins, who can't wrap their minds around jumping over the nets, these seals and sea lions repeatedly glided over the net and casually ate the silver fish that lay within. Below, a sea lion(?) is about to swim over and into the net. These mammals went in and out of the net so often, it almost seemed like they were mocking the situation.
In the below photograph, you can count 7 seals or sea lions feeding within the net, with sea gulls dive bombing their heads from above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

20 Goals for 2019

I know the year is already half over, but here are my goals for 2019 (this was not finished earlier as my goals kept changing).  Soci...