Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 New Year Resolutions, and Results

I cannot believe another year has blown by.  After reading over my 2010 New Year's Resolutions, it feels like I had just wrote them yesterday.  Here are my 2010 New Year Resolutions and associated results:

1. Watch less TV, play less video games, surf the internet less. Generally, get my butt off the sofa more.
No, Yes, Yes, Somewhat.  I think I was successful in playing less video games.  When you go home at lunch to play video games, like I did in 2009, it is a very clear indication that you are playing too many video games.  This did not happen this year.  (However, as a side note, I did obtain a wireless headset to communicate with my coworker while playing Call of Duty Black Ops, so I haven't given up games altogether.) I am continuing to watch a lot of TV indirectly due to Mark's excessive TV watching, but overall I think I did better than before. Verdict: Fair.

2. Stretch my lower back and shoulder more. These spots are giving me grief.
I did a very good job in this department.  The tension is not completely gone, and will come back in force in times of stress, but I am constantly stretching these neck and lower back, without even thinking about it. Verdict: Good.

3. Continue to make exercise a habit.
Exercise this year was up and down.  My gym closed down, but I continued to do P90X videos on my own.  I got to the point of being able to do weird feats of strength, like doing 30 push ups in a row, or going from the "crane" position (a yoga balance move) and jumping into plank.  Then, I discovered that simply eating less (1450 calories a day) was a more efficient way to lose weight than exercising a lot, so I began to limit exercise to once a week.  Now I'm trying to renew my exercise habit after my experiment resulted in me getting too flabby.  Verdict: Fair.

4. Begin to think about what it means to grow older and come to terms with it. These are one of the things I fear the most -- getting older, and being perceived as old. Thank goodness I don't look any age at all with my asian face.
Ha ha.  I don't think I made any progress at all in this department. I'm embarassed to say, I still feel like I am in my 20s mentally speaking.  Verdict: Poor.

5. Continue with my spiritual and psychological development.
I am working very hard in this department.  In August, I hired a personal life coach, and I have been working with her biweekly ever since.  This deserves it's own little blog post, but to summarize, I have been making a lot of progress.  Verdict: Good.

6. Take better care of my skin.
I have also been making significant progress with my skin.  I discovered several important skin-care habits: (1) I apply Atralin, a tretinoin-based acne medication, on my face every night.  The tretinoin is great for treating adult acne, but I also receive the side-benefit of having younger looking skin, as tretinoin encourages the turnover of skin.  As a result, my skin looks clearer and more youthful than it has in years. (2) My second habit is to moisturize my face every day (Aveeno facial soy based moisturizer).  The Aveeno moisturizer that I use does not irritate my skin, and it helps keep my oil production down.  It also has the side benefit of evening out my skin tone.  (3) Less significantly, I am appreciating the benefits of blotting.  Rather than washing and drying out my skin, I regularly blot my face with toilet paper, which has the added benefit of leaving my makeup intact, in addition to removing shine. Verdict: Excellent.

7. Do new things. Plan more events with friends.
So this year I wasn't a complete couch potato.  I ended up organizing several events, including a ski trip, a Halloween party, hiking outings, dive outings and dinner parties.  This coming year promises to unveil more creative events.  Verdict: Good.

8. Dare I say it? Travel more? Will it happen with my dwindled finances and few vacation days?
I definitely got to travel a decent amount this year.  I travelled to Indianapolis for work (better than nothing), and I also got to travel to Zion National Park and to Fiji for my honeymoon.  I will try to write more about Zion at a later date, but to read up on my honeymoon, go here. Verdict: Good.

9. Continue to acquire a stylish wardrobe!
This year saw a resurgence in my fascination for fashion.  I love the jeggings, ankle boots and blousy silhouettes that have become trendy this year.  My conclusion is that you don't have to spend a lot to look fashionable.  You just need good taste.  Verdict: Excellent.

10. Survive work in 2010 with my sanity intact, which promises to be the make or break year.
This year was pretty good as far as work is concerned. I wished I had done more, but I shattered a couple of boundaries that I had previously.  My boss getting fired helped a lot! He was holding me back, as well as the rest of the company, which was why he got fired in the first place.  Verdict: Good.

More detail later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

20 Goals for 2019

I know the year is already half over, but here are my goals for 2019 (this was not finished earlier as my goals kept changing).  Soci...